How do I settle an estate after someone dies?


The Estate Administration process is often known as “Winding up of an Estate”. An Executor, as appointed by the Master of the High Court, finalises an Estate after someone passes away. If you have been nominated as the Executor in someone’s Will but lack the expertise to finalise the Estate the Master of the High Court may instruct you to solicit the services of a company or professional who can assist. Some of the options are then for you to either renounce your role as Executor or remain as the Executor and nominate a company or professional to act under Power of Attorney on your behalf. It is, therefore, recommended that you nominate a professional in your Will to act as Executor.